Home     Faq

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to be a member to join the International Women’s Group?

You do not need to be a member of the Women’s Group in order to join the group. The International Women’s Group is a non-political, non-religious, non-commercial, group (no membership fee) open to all nationalities. If you are interested in the monthly activities please do not hesitate to contact us. picc@wisspark.de

Can anyone join the International Women’s Group?

Anyone who has moved to Potsdam for professional reasons is most welcome. This group was created as more and more women are on the move with husbands/partners whose professions are taking them to places far away from their home countries. In many cases they have had to give up professional careers, leave family and friends, and be faced with a foreign language to learn and a new culture to come to terms with.

Are the PICC services free of charge?

All services are free of charge. For some events there is required contribution of 1€. Please check the monthly calendar for further details.

What are the office hours of the PICC?

The PICC is open as follows:
Monday: 10.00 – 12.00 & 1.00 – 5.00 pm
Tuesday: 8.00 – 1.00 pm
Wednesday: 10.00 – 12.00 & 1.00 – 5.00 pm
Thursday: 8.00 – 1.00 pm
Friday: By appointment
(The office is closed on public holidays.)

Do you need to pay school fees in a German state school?

You do not need to pay school fees in German state schools. Expenses that might come up are school meals, school books and extra material. You will get a list from the school before you start attending on what you need to buy.

What additional insurances do I need here in Germany?

In addition to your health insurance you might want to take out other insurances here in Germany. Let us help you check what you have got and might need.

I am only staying for a short time; can I still use the PICC services?

You may consult the PICC anytime. For a short term or long term stay.

I would like to work but need to change my visa, where can I do this?

To change your visa it is the best thing to do, to make an appointment at the “Ausländerbehörde”. They will verify your request and also issue the new visa if everything is positive. For help you may contact us, as we support you during those procedures.

Where can I get Asian ingredients in Potsdam? Where can I get Food (supplies) from my home country?

There are a few shops in Potsdam that provide traditional food. One example is an Asian Food store in the Dortustraße, a British Food store in the Lindenstraße (both located in the city center) and an Asian Food store in Babelsberg. Meanwhile there is a wide range on traditional supplies online and in on local markets as well.

On what public holidays are the shops closed in Potsdam?

In Brandenburg facilities are closed on the following days:
Neujahr (New Year, 1st Jan.), Karfreitag & Ostermontag (Friday and Easter Monday), 1. Maifeiertag (1st May), Christi Himmelfahrt (May), Pfingstmontag (May), Tag der Einheit (3rd October), Reformationstag (31st October), 1. und 2. Weihnachtsfeiertag (25th and 26th December)

I need to get my driver’s license changed, how can I do this?

Yes, you need your driver’s license changed/ aproved by authority. You have to make an appointment online before you can go there!
This is the link: https://egov.potsdam.de/tnv/?START_OFFICE=kfz
Generally, the people working there hardly speak English, if you need help, maybe for translations, please contact us.

Where can I find English speaking doctors/therapists?

We have a database with multilingual doctors and therapists. Just send us en E-Mail with your request and we will send you the details you may need. We keep updating this database by research, personal contact and feedback, so if you have a recommendation or if you have made a bad experience please send us a note. With your feedback, we can provide better information’s for you and the community.

I need information on how to do my income tax declaration, who can help me?

We can give you some regular advice but if you need professional support, we will send you the contact details of a specialist who is familiar with your situation.

I would like to learn German.

Great! We have the language school let’s talk. Here you find courses for all levels and you learn in small groups. Excellent teachers and proven materials guarantee you a high standard and with your participation fast results.
Also: to actually speak the new language, come and meet the community at one of our regular meetings. Here you’ll find all levels and all nationalities to practice talking.

Can I use my Electronic-stuff here? What Voltage is used here?

Power plug adapter needed: Yes
Power sockets: type F
Voltage: 230 V
Frequency: 50 Hz
Schuko Stecker und Dose
(Image: Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets)